BEVERLEY SHIPYARD (1953) film no: 1444
Made by Debenham & Co., this film features much of the Georgian architecture of Beverley as well as its shipbuilding industry. In addition to a tour of the architectural features of the market town, the film includes a ship launch at the shipyards of Cook, Welton and Gemmell Ltd.
Title: ‘Beverley! An old world town – of Georgian Character’ ‘The North Bar!! Built in 1409 and the only reminder of the days when the defence of the town relied on its five gates and a moat.’
The film begins with a woman riding through the gate on a bicycle. There is also a man with a walking stick who makes his way by the Georgian Houses next to the Gate.
Intertitle: ‘Quaint streets and Georgian Houses with curious handrails’
Some of the Georgian houses are shown in close up, including J W Backhouse Florist. Cyclists come down a street, and a large house is seen on St Mary’s Close.
Intertitle: ‘The Beverley Arms hotel: A survivor of the coaching days’
A man tends some plants on the balcony above the Hotel’s main door.
Intertitle: ‘The Market Cross: commemorative ancient feats of arms erected in 1714’
At the Market Cross, there is a shield and coats of arms on the top which is shown up close.
Intertitle: ‘St Mary’s Church: the parish Church’
The outside of the church is shown as pedestrians and cyclists pass by.
Intertitle: ‘The Hall: formerly residence of Admiral Walker, now the Municipal Offices’
The front of the Hall is covered in foliage. St Mary’s Church can be seen in the background of a busy shopping street. More narrow side streets can be seen, Ladygate, including Dog and Duck Lane, again with St Mary’s Church in the background. This is followed by footage of some of the older shops of Beverley.
Intertitle: ‘The Minster’
Looking from the east, the Minster is seen in the distance. Some of the external decoration is shown close up.
Intertitle: ‘Cook, Welton and Gemmell Ltd.: who are renowned for their specialisation in design and construction of trawlers and other small vessels’ shipbuilders’
In the shipyard, workmen continue to build a half completed ship. They are working on a dry dock. Next onto the River Hull, and another ship in the background. Some workmen raise a metal frame on a crane, and nearby dignitaries stand on the launch platform.
Intertitle: ‘All ready for her dip in the morning mist of Monday 12th October 1953’
The ‘George Irvin’ waits to be launched by a woman holding a bottle, whilst below, two workmen knock out the retaining timber allowing the ship to slide into the river. The woman throws the bottle, christening the ship, and eventually the ship moves off. It nearly keels over as it hits the water.
Intertitle: ‘Three cheers for the ‘George Irvin’’
The crowd raise their hats while standing on the launch platform, and workmen hold the ship in place with ropes. The offices of Cook, Welton and Gemmell are shown.
Intertitle: ‘The reception following the launch of ‘George Irvin’‘
People stand around with drinks talking at the reception. Someone proposes a toast. A board gives the dimensions of the ‘George Irvin’, with a length of 173 ft. and a weight of 525 tons, stating that it was built to the order of the East Fisheries Ltd., Cape Town.
Peter H Robinson, The Home of Beautiful Pictures - the Story of the Playhouse Cinema, Beverley, Hutton Press, 1984.